Sunday, January 27, 2013

Update on 'Ninja Wabbits'

We still have the neighbor's free range 'Ninja Wabbits' - Herbie has to fight the urge to chase them - however he has his leash on whenever he goes out, so that isn't too hard for him to deal with... at least from a physical stand point. But he is getting better ... unless they are less than 30ft from him and are sticking out their tongues and wiggling their ears & fuzzy tails at him.

I have explained to him that with our weather dipping below freezing, sometimes for extended periods of time, the last things these bunnies should be having to worry about this Winter is wasting their energy reserves on fear and running from us... There are enough other dangers.

We currently have three free range 'ninja wabbits' and assorted other indigenous wildlife that I have taken to leaving veggie peelings and apples out for. The really prefer the apples. Two of these bunnies are new ones I think... however I have heard that rabbits do change their colors with the temperature changes, so I don't know.

There are currently two white with dark spots on them... the carmel color one is MIA... Mom just told me to change that status to KIA as he is laying beside the road. I just feel so helpless when that happens - I just wish people would take responsibility for animals they breed or bring into their lives.

The neighbors across the street told me they set live traps out occasionally and send the captured rabbits to a man in the valley - I don't even want to know what he does with them. I have learned in my old age there are things happening where I can affect a change and others that I cannot and worrying about the ones that I cannot is not good for me.

The other day I almost picked up bunnie food and hay at the pet store, but these are not my rabbits, and I have a very very tight budget. Hopefully they will find a home - I'd kind of like to plant a garden this Spring.... Maybe I will plant one with plenty of reserve for miscellaneous wildlife.

If ya can't beat 'em join 'em... and after all (except for the ninja wabbits) the deer and assorted other beasties we have foraging around here were in this place before we were. God bless your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment ~ I would love to hear from you.